Shall we bake love again?
It's always a huge yes from us but are you up for it? With February 14th almost within kissing distance, we're back to remind you that the most romantic time of year, can for some, especially those oldest amongst us, be only a reminder of loneliness. A time of joy, jaded for over 1.4 million older folks, who are said to experience feelings of isolation every single day. These people are our neighbours, our friends, our family. So, if only for a day, let's play our part to make sure that no older person in our community celebrates Valentine's alone. This is where we need your help...
Together with our partners EARNT, we are looking for 40 volunteer bakers to don their aprons once again, to whip up two divine desserts for Age UK Kensington & Chelsea's tenth anniversary Valentine's Gala Concert - an afternoon of tea, coffee, cakes, choir performances and most importantly, companionship. As the event is extra special this year, over 450 people, which is more than ever, have been invited, so we need to pour even more love into the mix! These folks rely on the sense of community that the event provides, so we want to help make it as magical as possible.
In return for your hard work, you will earn a set of four signature S&B heart napkins, just in time for Valentine's Day... but let's be honest, that's not really the point. This is an exclusive opportunity, yes, but you don't need to queue early or have the right connections. This is different to other limited drops. This is for all the 'good eggs' out there, who want to do something positive for their local community and to make someone else's day that bit brighter. If last year's campaign is anything to go by, where we filled all volunteer spots in under an hour, we know we have exactly the right people to help us do this.
And of course, that's not just it... to spur everyone on, we are adding a little spice to the recipe... The three 'best in show' bakes will each be awarded a limited-edition handblown glass tumbler, emblazoned with 'Good Egg'. The top spot baker will also be awarded a matching 'Good Egg' handblown glass carafe. Limited edition, naturally. So, think bigger, better, more bountiful bakes, drizzled with even more love.
[ The 'Best in Show' Bakers... ]
...will also be awarded bespoke 'Good Egg' glassware!
So why EARNT and Age UK?
Growing older is a privilege but not necessarily a piece of cake. So, if you can, please help us make this wonderful event extra sweet for our older, wiser neighbours and get baking with us! We're not expecting wonders, just two puds made with love. We always say that good things come to those who create, so when you pop in to drop off your bakes, we'll give you a set of four S&B Heart napkins, as a heartfelt thanks.
If this sounds like fun and something you can help us with, find the specifics toward the end of the email and the sign up link.
Our partners in this are the wonderful EARNT, who are busy fostering a community of change-makers, who believe actions speak louder than money. Basically, EARNT help brands mobilise their customer base to get good things done. They're redefining what VIP means, by prioritising and rewarding those that go the extra mile by taking part in something that matters. Brands can change the world, no matter the size. In our case, we may be small, but we are mighty, and we know that with our friends (you), we can make good things happen, together. Sometimes when we buy something, we take it for granted, it's much more rewarding to earn it.
We need to feed roughly 450 people. So, we're asking 40 people to bake two items each. As a guide, we'd suggest either two cakes or one cake and a batch of cookies/cupcakes/brownies/flapjacks etc. A batch must be at least 12 items - but the more the better and if they could be heart shaped or Valentine's related, that would be perfect!
You will need to be able to drop off your bakes off to us at our Portland Road store, alongside your name, the name of your bakes and an ingredients list, on Thursday 8th February between 10am and 2pm and we'll take care of the rest. Please be aware that we will not be able to give your tuppaware back to you.
In return when you drop off, you'll receive a beautiful set of four S&B heart napkins in assorted colours.
Quite simply, there is no better feeling than doing something good for someone else. Especially in this case when sadly, these lovely ladies and gentlemen can go days without talking to anyone at all. No older person should feel lonely, not when there are so many of us here to help. So, let's do it, together.
We need you to drop off your bakes at Summerill & Bishop, 100 Portland Road, W11 4LQ on Thursday 8th February, between 10am and 2pm.
The event takes place the next day so we will take care of overnight storage and transportation. As the bakes will sit overnight, please avoid anything that needs refrigerating.
To volunteer and become an S&B baker, please register here. The first 40 to sign up will be selected.
Things to remember:
1. Please include the titles of your bakes alongside an ingredient list. This is really important.
2. All bakes will be delivered to the event the day after drop off, so they will sit overnight. With this in mind, please avoid anything that needs refrigerating.
3. Please drop your bakes at Summerill & Bishop, 100 Portland Road, W11 4LQ between 10am and 2pm on Thursday 8th February and collect your set of four S&B Heart Linen Napkins at the same time.
4. The 'Best in Show' Bakers will be chosen once all bakes have been received. Winners will be contacted via email and sent their glassware the following week.
5. Where possible, bakes should be Valentine's related, so think heart shaped, pink, red, sprinkles - as creative as you like!
6. The first 40 volunteers to apply will be selected.
7. Napkin set gift cannot be exchanged for other goods.
Thank you gift. ♥️
Our S&B Heart linen napkins.
Just a few of our merry band of S&Bakers last year...
[ Two Bakes = Four Gorgeous Napkins ]
[ The People We Do It For ♥️ ]
Terms & Conditions
- A customer must register their wish to take part in the S&B x EARNT program, via the link above.
- Summerill & Bishop will only accept a maximum of 40 volunteer baker spots. Selection will be based on a first come, first serve basis.
- You are only eligible to qualify as a volunteer baker once you have received a confirmation email from EARNT confirming you have been selected as a volunteer baker.
- The customer will deliver at least two homemade teatime options on Thursday 8th February, between 10am and 2pm, to Summerill & Bishop, 100 Portland Road, W11 4LQ.
- The customer will provide a written title for their bakes and an ingredients list, plus their name.
- Where possible, bakes should be Valentine's related, so think heart shaped, pink, red, sprinkles - as creative as you like!
- All bakes will be delivered to the event the day after drop off, they will sit overnight. With this in mind, please avoid anything that needs refrigerating.
- Once the baked goods are received, the customers will receive their gift from Summerill & Bishop - a set of four S&B Heart linen napkins.
- The tablecloth gift cannot be exchanged for other goods or credit.
- Each set of four napkins will be in assorted colours - the set cannot be swapped or exchanged for different colours.
- Summerill & Bishop will select a 'Best in Show' Baker, who will, in addition to the set of four S&B heart napkins, receive a Bespoke Handblown Glass Word Carafe and Tumbler. The winner will be contacted the following week via email.
- Summerill & Bishop will select two runners up for 'Best in Show' Baker, who will each, in addition to the set of four S&B heart napkins, receive a Bespoke Handblown Glass Word Tumbler. The runners up will be contacted the following week via email.
- Summerill & Bishop reserve the right to reselect volunteers at their own discretion at any time, should this be necessary.